Jose Antonio Ocampo
School of International and Public Affairs
International Affairs Building, 13th Floor
New York, NY 10017
Prior to his appointment, Professor Ocampo served in a number of positions in the United Nations and the Government of Colombia, most notably as United Nations Under-Secretary General for Economic and Social Affairs; Executive Secretary of the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC); Minister of Finance and Public Credit, Chairman of the Board of Banco del República (Central Bank of Colombia); Director, National Planning Department (Minister of Planning); Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Chairman of the Board of Banco Cafetero (Coffee Bank) and Caja de Credito Agraria, Industrial y Minera (Agrarian Bank) and Executive Director, FEDESARROLLO.
Dr. Ocampo received his B.A. in Economics and Sociology from the University of Notre Dame and his Ph.D. in Economics from Yale University (1976). He was a Professor in the Advanced Programme on Rethinking Development Economics at Cambridge University, a Professor of Economics at Universidad de los Andes, a Professor of Economic History at the National University of Colombia, as well as a Visiting Fellow at Yale and Oxford.
He is the author of numerous books and articles on macroeconomics policy and theory, economic development, international trade and economic history. His recent publications include Stability with Growth: Macroeconomics, Liberalization and Development, with Joseph E. Stiglitz, Shari Spiegel, Ricardo French-Davis and Deepak Nayyar, (New York: Oxford University Press, 2006).
- Reform of the International Monetary and Financial System (Videos)
- Principles for Economic Recovery and Financial Reconstruction from Progressive Economists (Policy Library)
- A Progressive Program for Economic Recovery and Financial Reconstruction (Policy Library)
- What Should Bretton Woods II Look Like? (Commentary)
- Globalization, Development and Democracy (Policy Library)
- Rethinking the Development Agenda (Policy Library)
Last Updated: Nov 12, 2008